– I lost already.
– I’m at the end. – Are you se–
I’m– hold on.
This is more impressive. I wanna watch his screen. ♪ (8-bit intro) ♪ – Hi, I’m GrandPOOBear.
I’m a professional speedrunner and I’m going undercover
right now to win some races. – (FBE) So, tell us a little
about how long you’ve been speedrunning.
– I’ve been speedrunning for a little over three years now.
I have currently eight world records.
I have held probably 20 more that have been broken since then.
I currently hold the world records in Super Dram World 1 and 2,
all categories and I was the first human
to ever beat Super Mario Bros 3 with a Power Glove. – (FBE) So, as you can see,
we have some classic TVs and some classic NES
consoles in front of you guys. That’s ’cause we’re throwing
it all the way back to 1988 today and having both of you play
Super Mario Bros 3. – Ay, you ready?
– I’m excited. – I’m excited. – Actually, I play this game
on the Switch quite a bit. – It’s been a while
since I’ve played, but it’s one of my all time
favorite games. – I mean, I’m a bit nervous.
I don’t have all that experience that this man has. – (FBE) So, you’ll only be playing
one level today, but of course there is
a bit of a catch. We’re challenging you two
to complete level 4-3 as quickly as you can
in a Mario speedrunning challenge. – I think I generally rush into
things and then I just end up falling down holes
and it’s gonna be really embarrassing.
– I mean, hopefully I’m good. I hope so.
I don’t wanna be bad at it my first time. – Is that just holding
the walking button until you start running?
– I actually do know a little bit about speedrunning.
I’ve seen it before at different charity events.
You just play the game as fast as you can, right? – I’ve wanted to do a speedrun
forever ’cause I’m very chaotic and like doing
things really quickly, but I’m not talented enough
to actually pull it off, so it should be a lot of fun. – (FBE) Okay, three, two, one.
Go. – Oh [bleep].
Oops. – Oh shoot, okay.
I’m already– cool. – I remember this level.
– Not going well for me. Oh, do you? – That guy’s gonna fall.
– Man, I remembered more of this than I thought.
– I died. – Are you se–
hold on. This is more impressive.
I wanna watch his screen. Ah, go away.
Come back here. – Oh.
I already died. Oh look at you.
Hold up. You do your thing. – I lost already.
– I’m at the end. – Do we start over?
– And I’m done. – What?
And you got a star. It’s a ringer right here. – (FBE) Go.
– Have you played this level recently then?
– Yes, actually. No, I am so bad at this. I got really jammed ’cause–
that’s right. Dang it.
I already died. He already beat it.
Way ahead of me. – (FBE) Will, were you surprised
by how fast David finished it?
– Yes. – There was a bit in
the beginning where it was like, “Oh, he’s hobbling around”
and then as soon as he starts just not pausing at all,
it’s like, something’s going on. – (FBE) David, do you wanna
tell her why you were so fast? – Yeah, so I’m actually
a professional Mario Bros speedrunner.
– Okay, okay. Professional speedrunner no less. – I do this for a living.
I hold eight world records in different Mario games.
– Oh my God. I think that’s super cool. – I play all over the world
at different charity events and things like that
and yeah, this is my job. I play Mario Bros for a living.
– Dude, that’s awesome. – You sound really familiar,
so I think I’ve seen your videos just not fully seen it.
Here I came with all bravado. – (FBE) We’re gonna give you
a chance to try this level again. First however, we’re gonna
let you watch David speedrun the level and give you
a little bit of advice. – Okay, okay.
– Okay, so the first thing you wanna do when you
go in here is fire a fireball. – Oh, okay.
– And that’s gonna make the hammer brother that
was bothering you, he’s gonna jump. You just wanna fire
a fireball right away and then jump over
those two guys and then here’s the key.
You just hold right and then just jump when
you think you should be jumping. I swear it’s just gonna work out
if you do that. – You’ve never met me. – You just jump on that guy.
Look, there’s platforms made for you.
Over that guy. You hit these two.
– I would have kissed that bird. – This part’s the cool one.
Yeah. And then you’re done.
– Oh yeah, that’s it. No worries, I got this.
– Easy peasy. Now it’s your turn. – So a fireball and run.
– Yeah, fireball and then run and jump.
– Oh, okay. We good, we Gucci now.
– Yep, see you’re good to go. – Oh wait. – Fire a fireball first thing.
Yeah, there we go. We’re good.
– Seems reckless. Oh [bleep] it worked.
– That’s what I’m saying. Fire this one.
– Okay. I’m going slower, but at least
I’m doing something. – Now jump up that.
Yeah, you’re good. Oh.
– That’s where I keep losing. – I wanna start off
just running, so I forget to do that.
– Yeah, no, you’re good. That was perfect.
Nice jump. – Practice, I guess.
Yeah. Right off the deep end. – Yeah, see?
Then you’re good to go. – See, it’s not that bad.
Oh wait. You know what?
Not that bad. I’m doing a lot better
than I was. – Hold right. – All right, it’s going well.
– That’s all right. – It’s going well.
– That’s all right. You’re doing great.
– Doing average. We’re adequate.
We’re in the game. – No, we’re perfect.
This is good. – No. – That was good.
Wait. – No. – Just run and then jump
when you think you need to. That’s the way to do it.
– I’m afraid. I’m too–
– Just run. Just run. – You know, I’m not listening.
That’s why. I’m not listening.
– Can’t hesitate. – (FBE) We’re gonna have you
guys race each other again. Three, two, one, go.
– I’m a hair quicker. – That’s all right.
We’ll give you the head start. – The handicap. – (FBE) Three, two, one, go. – Just always shoot a fireball
whenever you go in the stage. – Got it. – Fireball.
– Fireball. Oh, I already got stuck.
Hold on. I already got stuck again.
Hold on. – Oh, you’re tied with me
right now going into that pipe. – Oh shoot, am I gonna–
– Oh, you’re a pro. – But I got further.
– You are ready to go now. – You do it so smoothly.
– I just got hit right there. – [bleep], I didn’t do it.
I didn’t do it. I’m too afraid.
I’m stopping every chance I get. – I just–
I can’t do it. – It’s easy.
– Yeah. Just run and jump. – Holding run, holding run,
holding run. – That’s the key.
– Nope. You and I have different locks. – Let me set you up on
one of the hardest levels in the game.
– The fact that you’re a pro is the only thing stopping
me from crying right now. He’s like, “Yeah, it’s really hard.”
while he’s not even looking at the screen. – Oh [bleep].
– Ay. – Does that count?
Wait, I wanna see if I can get it. – Count it.
He’s ready to go. He’s a pro. – Oh, I was doing so good.
David’s teaching me. That was pretty good.
– That’s the coolest part about speedrunning.
Anybody can do it that has 10,000 hours
of their time ready to dedicate to Mario 3. – (FBE) So David, how would
you say our casual gamer did as a speedrunner?
– You know what? He fired the fireball,
which that’s the number one thing. Fireball.
– Fireball. – Fireball.
– I already got stuck. – You gotta take it
one step at a time. He got the first step,
so he’s one tenth of the way there.
– I don’t think I would ever be able to get one percent
as good as he is. – I was actually pretty wildly
impressed. This is one of the harder
levels, so even just to get through it without dying
is pretty impressive and gonna be faster than
most people out there. Put in the 500 hours it takes
to learn the game and then maybe you can
get top 20 or something in the world. – I can actually see loving
this game so much that you keep playing it.
– Right? – Yeah, I actually can.
‘Cause something about the original Marios
are so sweet and basic. I know that probably isn’t–
– No, that’s the best– totally, they’re simple.
It’s a simple idea. Run right and jump.
– Yeah, it’s fun. – Really fast. – It’s so cool.
You know the map. I’m familiar with the map,
but you know the map, so you know exactly when
things are gonna drop so it’s very obvious
you put a lot of work and a lot of effort into it
and it’s really cool seeing how naturally it is
because of the muscle memory and all that.
I have seen quite a few speedruns on YouTube and things,
so I know how talented people are, but seeing the skills firsthand
is like, “Well, I did the same thing.
Why didn’t my character do it?” – Thanks for watching.
You can follow me, GrandPOOBear at Twitch.tv/grandpoobear,
YouTube.com/grandpoobear, and of course on Twitter
and Instagram @Grandpoobear. Bye. – Hey guys, React producer
Mary here. Don’t forget to subscribe
and hit that bell icon and remember, we’ll be in
the comments for the first 30 minutes after every
video release, so come say hi. Bye, thanks for watching.